An official Path Through History Site! The Morris-Jumel Mansion, the oldest house in Manhattan, was built in 1765 as a country retreat for British Colonel Roger Morris and his wife Mary Philipse. In the autumn of 1776, George Washington and the Continental Army used the mansion as headquarters during the Battle of Harlem Heights. British and Hessian commanders later occupied the house after Washington's retreat from New York. In the summer of 1790, Washington returned and dined there with members of his cabinet. The mansion features restored period rooms and interpretations of the mansion's role during the Revolution War and other periods, as well as history from its other famous residents and guests.