The Utica Children’s Museum was founded on August 1, 1963 and is housed in a beautiful historic building located in the heart of Utica’s downtown Bagg’s Square district. The Museum currently offers approximately 60 exhibits and experiences throughout four floors of play space and is in the process of being transformed into a hands-on, interactive destination that will impact more than 100,000 visitors over the next five years.
The Utica Children's Museum is housed in the John C. Hieber Building, a historic commercial building located at 311 Main Street, Utica in Oneida County, New York. It was built in 1893 and is a five story, rectangular flat roofed, red brick structure, 60 feet by 100 feet, with a random ashlar stone foundation. It was built as a combined sales and warehouse facility. It was a work of Utica architect Frederick H. Gouge and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.